The Frederick County Chamber of Commerce and partner Northwestern Mutual-Frederick will host Chamber Talks, an evening presentation and discussion with the nation’s leading authority in family-owned business matters, Wayne Rivers, co-founder and President of the Family Business Institute.
This Chamber Talks event is open to all, and tickets are $10 in advance, $15 at the door. In addition, Northwestern Mutual-Frederick has purchased a block of tickets, which they are making available to the public for free while supplies last. Please click here to buy tickets.
Wayne Rivers is an expert guest on NBC, MSNBC, CNBC and CNN, and is a popular blogger for the Wall Street Journal. He has written four books, and will present some highlights from his bestseller, “The Top Nine Reasons Family Businesses Fail – and the Eight Building Blocks for Creating a Sustainable Closely Held Business.”
Rivers’ expertise spans the myriad issues specific to family-owned businesses, including:
- How to ensure a family legacy for your business
- How to do it right: transferring ownership of a family business to the next generation
- How to successfully integrate a Board of Directors with family members and others
- What to do when family-owned business owners don’t want to retire
- How to handle a family member who underperforms
- How to navigate the difficult but crucial succession planning conversations
- How family-owned businesses can manage work-life balance
- Selling the farm: when the next generation chooses another career path
- The “and Daughter” evolution of family businesses
- Beware the third generation: why family-owned businesses seem to die just two generations removed
Rivers’ presentation will be followed by a question-and-answer session from attendees. Anyone who owns or is employed by a family-owned business will learn strategies and actionable tools for career and business success.