This season, we’re celebrating 90 years of our beautiful landmark venue, which opened as the Tivoli movie palace on December 23, 1926.
In recognition of the “jewel of Frederick” reaching this milestone, we invite you to #ShareYourWeinberg with us. Now through November 11, we are accepting donations and loans of artifacts from years gone by. Whether old ticket stubs, Tivoli programs, or just a story or two, we can’t wait to learn more about your history with our beloved building.
What kinds of artifacts can I donate or loan?
We are currently accepting artifacts dated from 1926 through 2000:
- Newspaper ads and stories
- Lobby cards and playbills
- Other promotional materials
- Other artifacts (Please note that size and condition restrictions may preclude us from accepting some items.)
How do I participate?
Take a look at our donor questionnaire, fill it out, and call Manager of Development Rebecca O’Leary at 301.600.2870 to arrange a time to drop off your item and donor questionnaire at the Weinberg. If it meets the project’s needs, we’ll ask you to decide if you would like to loan your object or gift it to the Weinberg outright. Learn more about our official collections policy:
- Loan procedures: You will be asked to fill out a form and retain a copy of it. You will need your copy of the form to collect your object. Lenders will be asked to pick up their objects after December 31, 2017 and before March 1, 2018.
- Gift procedures: You will be asked to fill out a deed of gift stating that you are the legal owner of the object and have the legal authority to donate the object to the Weinberg Center. A copy of the form will be provided to you for your records. Please note that we cannot appraise your object’s value.
What will our artifacts be used for?
The Weinberg has a great story to tell, and your artifacts help make that story come alive! Artifacts could be put on display in the Weinberg lobby or photographed for inclusion as an image on an exhibit panel. Artifacts will be rotated regularly to ensure that there’s always something new to see.
How can I share a personal story/anecdote, rather than an artifact?
Did you get engaged at the Weinberg? Had your first date at the Tivoli? Maybe your grandfather worked in the projection booth? We want to hear your personal anecdotes, dating from 1926 to the present. Please fill out this form to submit a story. We will reach out to selected individuals in early November to gather your story in full.
Are there other ways to celebrate the venue’s 90th anniversary?
Yes! Please join us on December 23, 2016 as we unveil our #ShareYourWeinberg display — 90 years to the day the Tivoli opened.
For further questions, please contact Rebecca O’Leary at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301.600.2870.