As the Weinberg is a city-owned theater, please visit the city’s website – http://www.cityoffrederick.com/jobs.aspx – for a detailed posting of any vacancies. Thank you.
Internships in Arts Marketing & Development Communications:
Summer internship application deadline: April 1, 2016
Time commitment: 10 hours/week with flexible scheduling
Length of internship: Late May through August
About the Weinberg: The Weinberg Center for the Arts is one of the region’s premier performing arts presenters, offering film, dance, music, theatre, and family-focused programming. Located in the historic Tivoli movie theater in downtown Frederick, Maryland, the Weinberg strives to ensure that the arts remain accessible and affordable to local and regional audiences alike.
About the internship: The Weinberg Center internship program aims to provide students with valuable mentorship and hands-on experience, bridging the gap between the classroom and the workplace. Interns play an integral part in the inner workings of the Weinberg, supporting the administrative staff in their daily activities. Interns will gain insight into the world of nonprofit arts administration, and will build practical skills that are broadly applicable to business, marketing, and communications as a whole.
Benefits: This is an unpaid internship. However, all interns will receive access to complimentary tickets to attend Weinberg shows, based on availability. Students are encouraged to check with their college about using the internship for academic credit.
Responsibilities of intern:
- Support the Manager of Marketing in event promotion
- Create and maintain website and social media content
- Assist in planning and creation of email marketing initiatives
- Write and edit press releases as needed
- Assist in designing promotional posters and flyers
- Manage ongoing group sales efforts, ticket sales tracking, event listings, and various PR projects
- Support the Manager of Development in fundraising efforts
- Assist in the printing and coordination of regular mailings
- Assist with event management/hosting for occasional pre-show parties (as intern is available)
- Occasional manual labor such as lifting, pulling, pushing, etc
- Additional research and administrative support as requested by supervisors
- Exemplary student with field of study in one of the following: Communications, journalism, English, theater, dance, music, graphic design, marketing, business, or arts administration. Comparable experience will be considered.
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Detail-oriented self-starter, capable of working in a team or individually
- Ability to multi-task and keep pace in a busy environment
- Passion for social media strategy and/or digital communications preferable
- Some graphic design background is strongly encouraged; knowledge of Adobe InDesign is preferable
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office suite
To apply: Submit résumé and a cover letter along with writing and/or design samples to Ashley Birdsell, Manager of Marketing: email@example.com. In the subject line, please use the following format: Intern Application – YOUR NAME – Summer 2016. Writing/design samples may be class assignments. Interviews (phone or in person) will be scheduled for the middle of April.